I have been playing the piano since the age of 4. I have studied under Dr. Richard Baca at The University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio and Dr. Jan Drath at Texas A & I University in Kingsville. My first few years in education were in the elementary music classroom where I taught using the Orff and Kodaly methodologies. I do have my Orff Levels 1 & 2 Certifications and Kodaly Level 1 Certification. But Piano Pedagogy has always been my strength. Since my retirement 10 years ago from education I have felt a strong pull back to my musical background. So I have decided to open my own piano studio. At this time, Katy Institute of Piano has 28 students that have earned many honors and performed at various recitals.
My 24 years in education include 5 years administrative experience as an English Language Learner (ELL) Coordinator and as an English as a Second Language (ESL)/Testing Coordinator.
The key strengths I possess include, but are not limited to, the following:
• I am well versed in data analysis of student testing for goal setting.
• I have worked with campus administrators on developing reports of their English Language Learners progress and how best to meet their needs.
• I have successfully led a team of 20 campus ELL Coordinators.
• I am proficient in both English and Spanish. I have made many presentations to parents, teachers and school board members in both languages.
• I am an instructional leader. I have experience both in developing curriculum and providing the training for teachers to implement it.
My degrees are: Bachelor of Music (1977) in Music Education with an emphasis in Piano Pedagogy
Master of Music (1979) in Music Education with an emphasis in Music Theory
Presently working on my Doctorate in Musical Arts